domingo, 21 de octubre de 2012

Dentist trip and the best compliment ever

On Friday, we all had our first US trip to the dentist! (I mean, I have gone to the dentist in the US before, but not in about 8 years.) First up was Suzy, who was an absolute CHAMP. She climbed right up into the chair, opened her mouth, and let the doctor look and brush and polish her teeth, all the while she was shooting us thumbs up and giggling. And then she asked to do it again when they were done!

I highly recommend reading the Maisy book about Charlie going to the dentist at least a month in advance of your child's first dentist trip!

Then it was my turn, which also turned out to be a good experience, compared to the time I went to the dentist after having Suzy, and they found 10 cavities, which were the first of my entire life. The dentist was impressed with my $5 fillings from El Salvador! 

Then it was Elvis's turn, and he has to basically get all of the fillings he got when he was 14 years old replaced. Even with insurance, we decided it will be cheaper to buy a plane ticket to El Salvador and have it all done there. Seriously. 

We loved our new dentist- they played Dora in the waiting room for Suzy, and they all spoke Spanish as a first language which was great, especially for Elvis. I love that our dentist could refer us to the best pupuseria in town!! (Suzy asked for pupusas for her special treat for doing great at the dentist)

So I was talking to the dentist in Spanish about my teeth, and the dental hygienist (who is a native Spanish speaker) turned to Elvis had a little conversation that went like this:

Dental hygienist: "I thought your wife was white!"
Elvis: "She is white!" 
Dental hygienist: "Really?? That's what I thought but when I heard her speak Spanish i didn't think so anymore."

Score! Best compliment ever. 

1 comentario:

Marcie dijo...

That is AWESOME! Love it! :)