martes, 15 de abril de 2008

Butter Churnin' in Kindergarten


So, I always said I would never, ever be two things: a teacher, nor a missionary. Well look at me now! I teach at a bilingual Christian school here in San Salvador...kindergarten in the mornings (Reading, writing, english as a second language, math, phonics, Bible) and then I teach 11th grade Psychology in the afternoons. It really is amazing to see how the kids start off at 3 years old, and by the time they are in my class at 6 years old they are reading and writing in English and Spanish (ps- they write in perfect cursive handwriting, something I definitely did not learn until 3rd grade!). But obviously they can't really carry on a conversation with you, more than "May I go to the bathroom please", or "May I borrow a pencil please", etc. So it's really neat to then go to the 11th grade in the afternoons, and hear the kids speaking perfect English. I mean, I'm not crazy about teaching such a wide range of ages, but it is neat to see how they really learn English over the years.


I wanted you to get to see my little ones and my classroom (Elvis and I painted the mural in the back!), so check out this video of them singing and dancing to "Every Move I Make" . Pay special attention to the incredible "butter churn" move at the end of the video. Let me make a small side note about the "butter churn"....I think the technical name is the "Cabbage Patch", but my amazingly "creative" parents coined the term "butter churn" when they debuted this move at my 7th grade birthday party. Needless to say, I was traumatized, and continued to be when they pulled out the butter churn at every birthday since, when the whole family (grandmothers included) did it when I walked across the stage at my high school graduation, and I think I've blocked it out of my mind, but I'm pretty sure at my wedding too. I cringe everytime. So, when my dad's famous shoulder pumpin' move came along (you know which one i'm talking about), I decided just to go with it and to really talk it up because it is definitely better than the butter churn. I thought that maybe the butter churn would be forgotten, but now it's gone and popped up here in El Salvador too.


Ps- I did NOT invent the dance moves to this song in the video. The butter churn curse has returned. It knows no boundaries.

2 comentarios:

Tyler dijo...

Thanks for a good laugh! Now you know what you and Elvis's children will be like! :)

Chris wants to know why YOU weren't in the video!?!?

Brooke or Caleb dijo...

Now all I need is a video of Papa Baldwin (or the whole fam) doing the shoulder shrug.

Has Elvis been taught the family dance??? I think we need a video of that?