viernes, 20 de julio de 2012

catching up...

Wow, where do I start in this whole blog catching up process? My summer has been relaxing a busy all at the same time- less school work and no classes to go to, but lots of real, hands on experience as a work with the youth in MacArthur Park with World Vision's Youth Empowerment Program. I love that I don't have a computer at my internship, and I am hardly ever "stuck inside the office" but spend almost all of my time out in the neighborhood, talking with people and interacting with the youth. Learning a lot about myself, the neighborhood, and working with youth...especially 2nd generation immigrant youth. Whereas the tension of not knowing whether to speak in English or Spanish used to intimidate me, I am learning to roll with the Spanglish that flows freely in LA.

This past week, our youth hosted a conference and since it was supposed to be an overnight (only ended up being 1 day), Nana came to help babysit!! We had lots of fun with her-a visit to the zoo, visiting the peacocks that roam freely through the streets of Pasadena, a visit to the arboretum with Kelly, eating lots of yummy food and lots of Nana/Suzy time. Nana also babysat one evening so Elvis could take me to a concert at the Hollywood Bowl for my bday (which is this Sunday!) We saw Toots and the Maytals- one of the first reggae bands from Jamaica that started in the '60s, and Ziggy Marley- Bob's son. The ironic thing is that Suzy couldn't go, but she shares a deep love for this kind of music! She insists on listening to rocksteady reggae everynight at bedtime. She is currently busting it out during naptime too. She cracks me up. Thanks Nana for helping out and coming to visit!!! Suzy misses you in her top bunk!








A random cumbia dance party at Olvera St


Eating a Phillipe's - where the French dip sandwich was accidentally created  almost 100 years ago when they dropped the bun in the meat juice

awesome. 

Nana's favorite animal at the zoo-flamingos!


komodo dragon

that's our gorilla face


lounging





at the Hollywood Bowl for my bday concert...see the Hollywood sign up in the distance??

No hay comentarios: