viernes, 4 de marzo de 2011

5 years ago today....










Five years ago today I married the most incredible man I have ever met. You may hear others say the same thing about their husbands and I hope everyone feels this way about their spouse, but seriously. Elvis is amazing. The most patient, gentle man you will ever meet. That's what struck me most about him when we met 6 years ago when I went down to El Salvador to spend spring break with my brother during my senior year at UNC. We went to the beach with his friends from church, and guess who was there? Guess who caught my eye the moment he walked into the beach house and who piqued my curiousity the moment I found out his name was Elvis (I mean, seriously?) and when my brother described him as a "music loving, Goodwill kinda guy". You had me at Goodwill!



To make a long story short, just 5 days later when we saw each other again, he told me "bienvenida a mi vida" and that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. Little did I know, he had never had a girlfriend and had never put the moves on anyboday like this, but rather had been asking God to make it clear when he had met the one girl God was preparing for him and that he was waiting for. Thank God that he did make it clear!! Before meeting him, I remember crying to my roommates in college, wondering why I seemed to be invisible to the thousands of guys at UNC. Everything started clicking when Elvis explained that he had been praying for 4 years (the whole time I was at UNC) that the eyes of other guys would be closed to his future wife. And they were. And now I'm sooo thankful for that! Then he sent me the letters he had written to his future wife before he met me and knew who I was. And I was sure. So sure.




And I still am.




Even more so.




We got to know each other over emails and MSN messenger (with a dictionary by my side) and phone calls for the first 4 months of our relationship while I was in the US and he was in El Salvador. 11 1/2 months after that whirlwind meeting, we were getting married, swimming with dolphins in a piece of paradise island off of Honduras, and starting a home and a life together. Five years later, we have an amazing little girl and lots of hopes and dreams and yes, some questions about what the future holds for us. But I sure am glad I know that we'll be together, wherever we may be.

7 comentarios:

Kyle dijo...

Congrats, Elvis and Ashley! Still one of my favorite weddings that I ever attended!

Marcie dijo...

I love your story - and what a great one to be able to tell Suzy as she grows up! :) May God's peace and hope continue to be present as you guy walk with Him!

Jess dijo...

felicidades amigos! love you both -

Kelly dijo...

this was the most beautiful post!! Congratulations to you both today... I hope it is a day you are able to truly celebrate and reflect back over the past years! We look forward to seeing you in two weeks!!!!

denisha3000 dijo...

gave me goosebumps :) love you guys. happy anniversary!

Emmarie dijo...

I still remember when you got back after spring break and how you told us at dinner you had met someone. It seems like yesterday. I can't believe that was 6 years ago. I love your post!

Tyler dijo...

Still a beautiful story. Still a beautiful couple. Love you!